Parish Spiritual Adoption Program
Purpose: This program is designed to have the entire parish or school community pray for babies in danger of abortion.
How to begin in the parish:
1. Decide what month the program will begin and end. Some possible suggestions:
2. Two weeks before the program is to begin place an initial announcement in the parish bulletin inviting parishioners to participate. A sample announcement is at the bottom of this page.
3. One week before the program is to begin include information regarding this program in the verbal announcements made by the priest or lector. Announce that the program will begin next week and further details are available in the bulletin. Have the written announcement from the previous week’s bulletin printed in this week’s bulletin as well.
Pledge cards (which can be printed on pink and blue paper) should be made available to parishioners in the bulletin or at designated places in the church or narthex. Parishioners should be directed to the cards.
4. The week the program begins parishioners should place their pledge cards in a special basket or container and placed in front of the Blessed Mother Shrine or some other appropriate place or they can be brought up during the Offertory and placed near the altar. Additional pledge cards and writing instruments should be available at the end of each pew to parishioners who may forget to bring their pledge cards.
5. Two weeks after the program begins place a thank you note in the bulletin for those who are participating and to let the parish know how many individuals and families are participating. Also pledge cards and a basket should be available for those who pledge later.
6. Every month place the appropriate Little One development poster prominent so everyone can see how his her baby is progressing. Also, place an announcement in the parish bulletin as a reminder (1 or 2) for parishioners to continue praying for their spiritually adopted child along with information on development of the unborn child.
7. At the conclusion of the program there should be some type of parish celebration. A simple social hour (or baby shower) after Mass could be planned for those who have been participating for the past nine months. Parishioners might also be invited to donate new baby items (or make a monetary gift) that would then be delivered to a maternity home or pregnancy center that provided alternatives to abortion.
Bulletin Announcement – Two weeks before the program is to begin.
Everyone loves the beauty and innocence of a baby. As an expression of that love, (insert the name of the parish) announces an adoption program for young and old alike.
The members of (insert name of parish) parish family will have the opportunity next weekend to “spiritually” adopt a child who is newly conceived this month. Not all newly conceived babies are allowed to be born. In fact, more than 3,200 babies lose their lives to abortion each day. It is these babies you are being asked to “adopt”.
You may “adopt” a child individually or as a family by signing up during the weekend of (give date). You will be asked to name the child for whom you will be praying, thereby acknowledging the baby’s humanity. You will be asked to pray for your unborn child and for all unborn children, for the power of prayer is great.
Watch the bulletin for monthly reports describing your baby’s development.
There are millions of unborn babies desperately in need of your prayers. Won’t you please “spiritually adopt” one and share the love for life that God have given you?
This program is approved for use in the diocese by:
The Respect Life Office
of the Archdiocese of Baltimore