Youth Contact 2012
Session One: Tarzan Christianity
Presenter: Margaret Brogden
Session Two: An Inside Job
Presenter: Lauren Arroyo McKeegan
Mayra Seitz is a volunteer youth minister in the Netherlands. She most recently served as the coordinator of the European Catholic Youth Conference serving Military Community Youth Ministries this summer. She is a teacher for the Department of Defense Schools (which she refers to as DODS).
We hope that her brief visit will offer a larger context for youth ministry, this diocese, or even a larger experience like NCYC or a Franciscan University Youth Conference. Ministry with young people is happening all over the world in the Catholic Church - some of the challenges we face are shared all over the world, and some things we face, including blessings may be unique to us.
1) How can we "bring young people" together for "bigger catholic community" and fully take advantage of those opportunities?
2) How can our church become more vibrant...especially with the presence of young people?
- Do big events really make an impact?
- Catholic Church withers in Europe
- The big 5 of Youth Ministry Events
Bob Rice is a Professor at Franciscan University of Steubenville. He prepares youth ministry students for professional careers but understands that their formation is completed with the acceptance of a diploma. The Archdiocese of Baltimore and Bob have long collaborated to assist FUS students in preparing for the "real world" of service in Catholic youth ministry.
1) In what ways have we planned to "sharpen the saw" for ourselves in the upcoming year?
2) What are the changes around us that we are excited about as they offer us opportunities to grow?
- Covey's 7th Habit; Sharpen the Saw
- What Are Youth Doing to Become a Better Youth Leader?
- ArchBalt's Equip Process
- National Certification as a Lay Ecclesial Minister
Steve Angrisano is an itinerant youth minister, performing at many Franciscan and national youth gatherings as well as at World Youth Day. Yet, as he and his wife, Jenni, were raising their own kids through teenagerdom, they grew to greatly appreciate what youth ministry provided to their young people at the parish.
1) As youth ministers, how can we better appreciate the challenges that parents are facing and find ways to encourage and support them?
2) In what ways do we and can we engage parents in partnerships with our ministry?
- An Open Letter to Parents
- Three questions every youth minister must ask parents
- What Parents Want from their Youth Worker
Blessed with an extraordinary voice, ValLimar Jansen is a highly regarded singer, cantor and recording artist. She is also a college professor, a leader of worship and prayer and a workshop presenter at conferences across the United States. Along with her husband, Frank (he's playing piano in the background), she has served as MC at NCYC and NCCYM.
ValLimar has a long history of singing sacred music, starting from the age of five. She received most of her training in music and performance from Howard University in Washington, DC. She holds professional degrees in the arts from California State University, San Bernardino, and the University of California, Santa Barbara.
1) What are the challenges for us as disciples in trusting in the Lord and following the Spirit's will? How do we truly act out the "I believe..." that we proclaim in our creed?
2) What are the challenges in inviting young people to trust in the Lord?
Session Three: It's All About Relationships
Presenter: D. Scott Miller
Session Four: So What?
Below are links to information that was mailed to Pastor's and PLD's