He who welcomes you welcomes me, and he who welcomes me welcomes him who sent me --Matthew 10:40
To sustain the Gospel message, all believers are called to build vibrant communities of faith and service. We all have a need to belong and feel welcome and persons with disabilities want to be included and involved.
Like other parishioners, they have gifts and strengths to offer to the worshiping community and should be fully included in the life of the parish. To that end, the following are offered as resources. Each should be viewed in light of church teaching and law.
If you need more information, please contact:
Director, Disabilities Ministry
Catholic Organizations and Resources on Disabilities
- The Gospel of Life (Evangelium Vitae) by Pope John Paul II
- Pastoral Statement of U.S. Catholic Bishops on People with Disabilities
- National Catholic Partnership on Disability This site contains resources and information on Catholic teaching regarding persons with disabilities
- United States Conference of Catholic Bishops Search this site to find on-line, print and other media sources on including people with disabilities in parish life
- National Apostolate for Inclusion Ministry Witnesses to the Good News that all persons are created in God's image and likeness.
- Bishop Grady Villas Christ centered residential community for persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- National Catholic Education Association Provides seminars and consultations on special education services.
- National Federation of Catholic Youth Ministries, Disabilities Resources Online resource for youth with disabilities.
- Gallagher Services is a program of Catholic Charities creating services and supports for children and adults with developmental disabilities. Phone: 410-252-4005.
- Faith and Light International movement offering support to people with developmental disabilities, their families and friends.
Other Organizations and Resources
- National Dissemination Center for children with Disabilities Source of information on disabilities in infants, toddlers, children and youth; IDEA; and No Child Left Behind
- National Organization on Disability, Religion Division Resources, information and descriptions of programs throughout the United States.
- Department of Education, Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services Provides supports to parents and individuals, school districts and states in special education, vocational rehabilitation and research.
- ADA Information Line Information from the U.S. Department of Justice on the Americans with Disabilities Act, including questions & answers and myths & facts.
- Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Information about state agencies and services within DHMH, including the Developmental Disabilities Administration, Mental Hygiene Administration, and HealthChoice.
- Maryland State Department of Education News, legislation, programs, publications and other information related to special education.
- Maryland Technology Assistance Program Information on services, newsletter, and links to other disability and assistive technology web sites.
- Mental Illness Ministries
- Social Security Administration Information about services, benefits and publications from the Social Security Administration, including SSI, SSDI, work incentives, and other topics.
- ARC of Baltimore Provides advocacy, resources and community for people with developmental disabilities.
- Maryland Special Olympics The mission of Special Olympics is to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for citizens with intellectual disabilities.
- Council for Exceptional Children Professional organization for special educators and provides information on teaching people with special needs as well as legal advocacy information.
- The Arc of the United States
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Religion and Spirituality Division
- National Council of Churches Committee on Disabilities
- Kennedy Krieger Institute
- Stop It Now – organization dedicated prevent the sexual abuse of children
Specific Disability Conditions/Developmental Disabilities
- The ARC Advocates for the rights of persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Publications, training opportunities, resources, internet links, and information on diverse topics related to mental retardation and other disabilities.
- President's Committee for People with Intellectual Disabilities Publications, and state and national resources.
- Autism Society of America A leading source of information and referral on autism, representing the autism community for more than 33 years. The mission of the Autism Society of America is to promote lifelong access and opportunities for persons within the autism spectrum and their families.
- Maryland Chapters, Autism Society of America Volunteer, non-profit organizations dedicated to acting as a voice for individuals and families affected by autism spectrum disorders.
- Pathfinders for Autism Parent sponsored, non-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of individuals with autism and their families through research, referrals and resources.
- Unraveling Autism A fact sheet from the National Institutes of Mental Health regarding autism.
- Autism Speaks Committed to funding biomedical research into the causes, prevention, treatments, and cure for autism and to raising public awareness about autism.
- Interactive Autism Network A project of the Kennedy Krieger Institute designed to accelerate the pace of autism research by linking researchers with families.
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Rise for Autism
- Cafe Mom
- Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorders Information, resources, and support group information related to attention deficit disorder.
- National Down Syndrome Society
- Chesapeake Down Syndrome Parent Group
- Down Syndrome Resources on Line
- Epilepsy Foundation of America Research, information, resources, services, and advocacy related to epilepsy.
- Learning Disabilities Association of America Information, resources, and publications related to learning disabilities.
- United Cerebral Palsy Research, resources, innovative projects, and other information related to cerebral palsy.
- My Child Without Limits
- Ataxic Cerebral Palsy