The Reverend Monsignor W. Francis Malooly, currently Chancellor and Vicar General for the Archdiocese of Baltimore, was named an Auxiliary Bishop for the Archdiocese of Baltimore today by Pope John Paul II. He will also serve in the role of Western Vicar for parishes in Allegany, Carroll, Frederick, Garrett, Howard, and Washington counties in Maryland.
He will fill the vacancy created by the death of Bishop P. Francis Murphy, D.D. on September 2, 1999.
Bishop-elect Malooly was born in Baltimore, Maryland on January 18, 1944. He attended elementary school at St. Ursula in nearby Parkville. Responding early to a call to the priesthood, he attended secondary and undergraduate school at St. Charles in Catonsville (now closed), followed by seminary training at St. Mary (Paca Street, now closed) and St. Mary, Roland Park (now St. Mary’s Seminary & University). He was ordained a priest of the Archdiocese of Baltimore by his uncle, the late Bishop T. Austin Murphy, at the St. Ursula parish church on May 9, 1970.
Parish assignments included appointments as Associate Pastor at St. Joseph, Texas in 1970 and St. Anthony of Padua, Baltimore in 1976. He was Associate Administrator, then Administrator, at the CYO Retreat House (now Monsignor O’Dwyer Retreat House) in Sparks, Maryland from 1981-1984. In 1984, Bishop-elect Malooly became Director of Clergy Personnel for the Archdiocese of Baltimore. He was appointed Chancellor and Vicar General in 1989. In 1990 he was named Prelate of Honor to the Holy Father with title of Monsignor. He is a member of the Knights of Malta. In April of this Jubilee year, he was awarded the President’s Medal by St. Mary’s Seminary & University for his long service to the school and to the people, priests, and bishops of the Archdiocese of Baltimore.
An ordination Mass is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. on March 1, 2001 at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen in Baltimore.
For more information call Ray Kempisty or Matt Lane at 410-547-5379.