Titular Bishop of Macri – Auxiliary Bishop of Baltimore
Rt. Rev. Owen Corrigan*, son of John and Rosanna (McDonald) Corrigan, was born on March 5, 1849. After high school, he attended St. Charles College in Catonsville. He then continued his studies at St. Mary’s Seminary in Baltimore. From there he traveled to Rome to attend the North American College.
On June 7, 1873, Bishop Corrigan was ordained to the priesthood by Constantine Cardinal Patrizi, Vicar General to His Holiness. After his ordination, Bishop Corrigan returned to Baltimore where he was appointed Pastor of St. Gregory the Great Church within the Archdiocese. On July 6, 1908, he was appointed Vicar General of the Archdiocese of Baltimore.
Bishop Corrigan was elected by Pope Pius X to the titular See of Macri on September 29, 1908 and was appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Baltimore. He was consecrated on January 10, 1909 at the Cathedral of the Assumption in Baltimore by James Cardinal Gibbons.
He died on April 8, 1929 at the age of 80 and was buried in Baltimore.
*Before December 31, 1930, the title “Most Reverend” was reserved for archbishops; the other bishops were given the title of “Right Reverend.” After that date, “Most Reverend” became general for all archbishops and bishops. (Canon Law Digest. Bouscaren, Vol. 1, P.20).
Source: The Encylopedia of Catholic Bishops in America 1789-1989, Volume II.