By Elizabeth Lowe
St. Rose of Lima in Brooklyn marked the beginning of its centennial anniversary in February with a liturgy, celebrated by Bishop Denis J. Madden. A parish history, compiled by Mary Beth Barnes, pastoral associate and director of religious education, shows a faith community that has persevered.
· Following construction of a small wooden church, the parish’s first Mass was celebrated in 1914.
· The parish was touched by several tragedies. Fires destroyed the church in 1915 and 1950, and the parish school in 1926. During a 1956 oyster roast at nearby Arundel Hall, another fire killed 11 people and sent 250 to hospitals. During a February 1967 liturgy, the roof of the church collapsed under the weight of snow.
· Pastors included Monsignor Leonard J. Ripple, who served for nearly for four decades, and Auxiliary Bishop T. Austin Murphy.
· The parish shares liturgies and a pastor, Father Robert A. DiMattei Jr., with St. Athanasius in Curtis Bay. He became pastor in 2010, the same year the parish school closed.
· The renowned St. Rose Singers provide music at the 9:15 a.m. Sunday Mass.
To learn more about the parish, visit stroseparish.org.