Titular Bishop of Appiaria – Auxiliary Bishop of Baltimore
Thomas Austin Murphy, son of Thomas Andrew and Ella Cecilia (Brady) Murphy, was born on May 11, 1911 in Baltimore. He attended St. Martin Parochial School, then moved on to St. Charles High School in Catonsville. Upon his graduation from high school in 1925, he entered St. Charles Seminary in Catonsville. He studied at St. Charles Seminary from 1925 to 1931, then continued his Seminary Formation at St. Mary’s Seminary in Baltimore. On June 10, 1937 he was ordained a priest of the Archdiocese of Baltimore by Archbishop Michael J. Curley.
After his ordination, Bishop Murphy served as Associate Pastor first at St. Dominic Church, then at St. Rose of Lima Church. He was appointed Pastor of St. Rose of Lima Church in 1961. During this time he was also an advocate of the Archdiocesan Tribunal; Pro-Synodal Judge; Member of the Clergymen’s Interfaith Committee on Human Rights; Member of the Social Action Committee; Director of the Legion of Decency; and Moderatior of the Archdiocesan Veteran Mission Crucade. In 1962 he was appointed Promoter of the Clergy for the Tenth Synod in Baltimore.
Pope John XXIII appointed him Auxiliary Bishop of Baltimore on May 19, 1962. Bishop Murphy was consecrated on July 3, 1962 at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen by Archbishop Egidio Vagnozzi, Apostolic Delegate to the United States. He continued his pastoral role of Bishop until he retired on May 28, 1984.
The Lord called Bishop Murphy on November 17, 1991. He is buried in the Crypt at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen in Baltimore.
Source: The Encyclopedia of Catholic Bishops in America 1789-1989, Volume II.