Bishop W. Francis Malooly

Bishop W. Francis Malooly

titular bishop of Flumenzer, auxiliary bishop of Baltimore, moderator of the Curia, vicar general and western vicar for Garrett, Allegany, Washington, Frederick, Carroll and Howard counties

• Born Jan. 18, 1944, in Parkville

• son of William Francis Malooly and Rosemary (nee Murphy) Malooly, both deceased

• oldest of four children; siblings are Gerard and Austin Malooly, and Martha Hackman

• attended St. Ursula School in Parkville

• attended St. Charles College in Catonsville at age 13

• graduate of St. Mary’s Seminary, Baltimore

• ordained May 9, 1970, at St. Ursula, Parkville

• associate pastor, St. Joseph, Cockeysville (1970-1976)

• associate pastor, St. Anthony of Padua, Baltimore (1976-1981)

• associate administrator, then administrator of Monsignor O’Dwyer Retreat House, Sparks, formerly CYO retreat house (1981- 1984)

• director of clergy personnel, 1984-1988

• appointed chancellor and vicar general of the archdiocese and moderator of the Curia (January 1, 1989)

• named prelate of honor to the Holy Father, Pope John Paul II, with the title of Monsignor (1990)

• Episcopal ordination March 1, 2001 by Cardinal William H. Keeler in Cathedral of Mary Our Queen, Homeland

Catholic Review

Catholic Review

The Catholic Review is the official publication of the Archdiocese of Baltimore.