Titular Bishop of Flumenzer – Archdiocese of Baltimore
Bishop W. Francis Malooly was ordained an Auxiliary Bishop for the Archdiocese of Baltimore at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen on March 1, 2001. Cardinal William H. Keeler, Archbishop of Baltimore, appointed him at that time to the concurrent position of Western Vicar for the 38 parishes and six missions in Allegany, Carroll, Frederick, Garrett, Howard, and Washington counties in Maryland. He retains appointments as Moderator of the Curia and Vicar General.
Cardinal William H. Keeler, then-Archbishop of Baltimore, Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, then-Archbishop of Washington, Cardinal James Hickey, Retired Archbishop of Washington, and over 30 Archbishops or Bishops from around the country concelebrated at the ordination Mass.
Bishop Malooly was born in Baltimore, Maryland on January 18, 1944. He attended elementary school at St. Ursula in nearby Parkville. Responding early to a call to the priesthood, he attended secondary and undergraduate school at St. Charles in Catonsville (now closed), followed by seminary training at St. Mary (Paca Street, now closed) and St. Mary, Roland Park (now St. Mary’s Seminary & University). He was ordained a priest of the Archdiocese of Baltimore by his uncle, the late Bishop T. Austin Murphy, at the St. Ursula parish church on May 9, 1970.
Parish assignments included appointments as Associate Pastor at St. Joseph, Texas in 1970 and St. Anthony of Padua, Baltimore in 1976. He was Associate Administrator, then Administrator, at the