By Catholic Review Staff
A funeral Mass for Sister Irene Juras of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia was offered July 1 at Assisi House in Aston, Pa. Sister Irene died June 28. She was 85.
After entering the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia in 1948 and professing her first vows in 1950, she briefly worked at the former St. Mary Hospital in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.
She spent the next 29 years in the Baltimore area, teaching at Immaculate Conception School in Towson, St. Clement Mary Hofbauer School in Rosedale, Ss. Philip and James School in Baltimore, St. Lawrence School in Baltimore, Shrine of the Little Flower School in Baltimore and Our Lady of Mount Carmel School in Essex. She additionally served at St. Joseph Medical Center in Towson.
Sister Irene also ministered in Delaware; Washington, D.C.; South Carolina and Florida.
In 1984 she returned to the Philadelphia area, living at Our Lady of Angels Convent in Aston and volunteering with the retired sisters at Assisi House and with residents of the Fair Acres Geriatric Center in Lima, Pa.
In 2003 she became a resident of Assisi House and served in prayer ministry until her death.
Click here for more obituaries.