Resources for Educators: Abortion
Human life must be respected and protected absolutely from the moment of conception. From the first moment of his existence, a human being must be recognized as having the rights of a person - among which is the inviolable right of every innocent being to life. CCC 2270-2275.
“Therefore, by the authority which Christ conferred upon Peter and his Successors, and in communion with the Bishops of the Catholic Church, I confirm that the direct and voluntary killing of an innocent human being is always gravely immoral."Evangelium Vitae n. 57.
“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you.” Jer. 1:5.
- Evangelium Vitae, Gospel of Life, Pope John Paul II (1995).
- Catechism of the Catholic Church, Part III, Section 2, Chapter 2, Article 5, n.2270-75.
- Respect for Unborn Human Life: The Church's Constant Teaching, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (2008).
- Pastoral Plan for Pro-life Activities, US Bishops (2001).
- Living the Gospel of Life: A Challenge to American Catholics, A Statement by the Catholic Bishops of the United States (1998).
- Declaration on Procured Abortion, Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (1974).
- Excerpts from Constitution on the Church in the Modern World, Second Vatican Council (1965).
- "Abortion," New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia
- "How to Vote Catholic: Abortion," CatholiCity.com
- "Abortion," Catholic Answers
- "Catholic Teaching: Abortion," Archdiocese of Chicago
- Human Life and Dignity, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Culture of Life Foundation
- Maryland Catholic Conference
- "Abortion: What the Church Teaches," Helen Alvare
- "Light and Shadows in the Cause of Life," Susan E. Wills (May 27, 2011)
- Defending Life 2011, policy and legislation on abortion, Americans United for Life
- "Overview: Evolution of Roman Catholic positions on abortion," ReligiousTolerance.org
- USCCB Articles (host of dates and issues)
Dates to Note:
On January 22, 1973, the US Supreme Court issued its decision in Roe v. Wade, addressing the issue of abortion, one of the most controversial and politically significant cases in U.S. Supreme Court history.
April: National Post Abortion Healing Awareness Month
November: National Adoption Month
December 12: Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Patroness of the Unborn
Chris Cannon, "Can I Live" (4 minutes )
Alexander Tsiaras: Conception to birth – visualized , Image-maker Alexander Tsiaras shares a powerful medical visualization, showing human development from conception to birth and beyond. (Some graphic images.) (10 minutes)
Pro-life 101, Michael Martelli. Michael Martelli presents a short seminar on presenting the Pro-Life argument during the 1st Annual 40 Days for Life Youth Outreach Night at Living Hope church in Hanover, MD. (30 minutes)
The Case Against Abortion: Prenatal Development. Science, pictures, video of prenatal development. (3 minutes)
This document contains some hyperlinks to web sites operated by parties other than the Archdiocese of Baltimore. These hyperlinks are provided for your reference only. The Archdiocese of Baltimore does not control such web sites and is not responsible for their contents. The inclusion of hyperlinks to other web sites does not imply any endorsement of the material on these web sites or any association with their operators.