Cardinal-designate O’Brien to Visit Area Schools During Catholic Schools Week
Cardinal-designate Edwin F. O’Brien will visit several area Catholic schools during the Archdiocese of Baltimore’s celebration of Catholic Schools Week, January 29 – February 4. Among his stops, the Cardinal-designate will visit St. Casimir Catholic School, St. Michael the Archangel, and Archbishop Curley High School on Tuesday, January 31.
Seventy Catholic elementary and high schools throughout Baltimore City and the nine surrounding counties of the Archdiocese of Baltimore will host special educational activities throughout the week to learn more about the duties and role of a cardinal.
Since 1974, schools in the Archdiocese of Baltimore have joined with the nation’s Catholic Schools in observing Catholic Schools Week with special masses, community service projects, academic and artistic showcases, and open houses.
“Our Catholic schools regard Catholic Schools Week as an opportunity to affirm the dedication of our parents, educators, and parish communities as they develop future leaders who understand their faith-filled responsibility for promoting the common good” said Dr. Barbara McGraw Edmondson, Superintendent of Catholic Schools.
The annual celebration provides an opportunity to showcase the hallmarks of Catholic education – academic achievement, faith formation, and commitment to service. In the Archdiocese of Baltimore:
- Twelve Catholic schools have been recognized as national Blue Ribbon schools;
- Catholic elementary school students score in the top third nationally on standardized tests;
- Catholic middle school students score in the top 25% nationally on standardized tests in reading and math;
- Catholic high school students average 100 points higher on the SAT than their Maryland public school counterparts;
- Ninety-seven percent of Catholic school students graduated high school and 95% went on to attend college this past school year;
- Seventy-six percent of 8th grade students go on to attend a Catholic high school or other private school; and
- One hundred percent of Catholic elementary, middle, and secondary schools participate in community service.
To hear from John Harbaugh of the Ravens and CBS News/60 Minutes Correspondent Byron Pitts about the value of a Catholic education, visit www.archbalt.org/schools.