Natural Family Planning
Cardinal O'Brien encourages couples to speak with an NFP couple. He writes that "[t]his rich teaching of the Church, that married couples share in openness to life, provides great joy to wives and their husbands and strengthens the shared institution of marriage."
Please visit the Archdiocese of Baltimore Marriage Enrichment Natural Family Planning page for information about Natural Family Planning (NFP) in our diocese.
Another great resource is the USCCB Natural Family Planning page.
How to promote Natural Family Planning in your parish:
- Use this parish bulletin insert
- Pray the Novena to Ss. Joachim and Anne. The novena to Saints Anne and Joachim is available in print from the Secretariat for Pro-Life Activities. To order, call toll-free, 1-866-582-0943 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. To order the novena to Saints Anne and Joachim, ask for item #0422 (English) and #0423 (Spanish).
- Order and show a FREE copy of Plan Your Family Naturally (while supplies last). This 22 minute video can be shown to men's groups, women's groups, Knights of Columbus, etc. If you would like a free copy to show at your parish, please contact email@example.com.
- Hold a Humanae Vitae study group. Invite existing Bible Study programs and other parish groups to spend a meeting or part of a meeting reflecting on this important Church teaching.
- Invite parishioners to consider training to become teaching couples and begin an NFP program at your parish.
- Host Eucharistic Adoration for a Humanae Vitae Culture. Read from John Paul II (Familiaris Consortio or Theology of the Body). Make sure confession is available.
- Order a copy of Romance without Regret to show at a youth group meeting.
Create a Natural Family Planning bulletin board or table display in the narthex of your parish. If it’s a bulletin board, keep it up for several weeks. If it’s a table, set it up on Sundays after all Masses.
Quotes (to print in large font on colored paper, or click here for a PDF with quotes already sized and in various fonts):
NFP is not “Rhythm.”
NFP is a holistic approach to family planning.
God’s plan for human sexual love [is] not an arbitrary list of “do’s” and “don’ts” but an integrated tapestry that must be seen as a whole. Rev. Charles Goraieb, A Boost for NFP.
The love between spouses is intended to be a mirror, an icon of the love which exists between the three persons of the Godhead. Rev. Charles Goraieb, A Boost for NFP.
The Theology of the Body is a breath of fresh air for all of us who want to serve God’s people and turn their hearts towards the Author of Love. Rev. Charles Goraieb, A Boost for NFP.
Catholics who have not heard a defense of the Church’s teaching on contraception might be surprised how rich and full of common sense it is. Janet E. Smith, PhD. For more information, check out the transcript of “Contraception: Why Not?”
Despite their differences of nature and moral gravity, contraception and abortion are often closely connected, as fruits of the same tree. Gospel of Life n. 13.
The trivialization of sexuality is among the principal factors which have led to contempt for new life. Gospel of Life n. 97.
With regard to physical, economic, psychological and social conditions, responsible parenthood is exercised by those who prudently and generously decide to have more children, and by those who, for serious reasons and with due respect to moral precepts, decide not to have additional children for either a certain or an indefinite period of time. Humane Vitae n. 10.
The transmission of human life is a most serious role in which married people collaborate freely and responsibly with God the Creator. Humanae Vitae n. 1.