Catechesis for Family Life
Healthy Relationships for Catholic Family Life
All people are called to cultivate the virtue of chastity, which allows us to imitate Christ in doing what is right, good and truly loving in the areas of relationships and sexual morality. For program assistance the the Division of Catechetical and Pastoral Formation at 410-547-5405
"Assisting parents of adolescents and youth in the formation of their children for chaste living is essential to their formation in the Catholic faith and should be mandatory in Catholic schools and in parish religious education and youth ministry programs" (Catechetical Formation for Chaste Living, USCCB, 2009).
Child Protection Education in the Context of Catholic Family Life
The Archdiocese of Baltimore is committed to providing children and their parents with education about child sexual abuse within the context of a holistic catechesis for chaste living. This catechesis is to be offered as an important component of the curriculum of religious instruction and faith formation in the parish or school setting, from kindergarten through high school.
Program Summary - Archdiocesan Policies
Family Life Catechesis in the Archdiocese of Baltimore is a catechesis for Healthy Relationships. The purpose of this catechetical endeavor is to create a knowledgeable school/parish community that welcomes open communication and a holistic discussion around the issues of moral living, marriage and family, healthy sexuality and sexual abuse prevention.
Goals of Catechesis for Family Life
- Provide Catholic teaching on morality
- Present skills and virtues for Catholic family living
- Place human sexuality within the context of Catholic family moral livingv
- Help families address the complex issues of contemporary life
- Offer child safety education for children and their parents/guardians
- Frequently Asked Questions
Curriculum, Kindergarten - Grade 8Family Life Catechesis is integral to the Religion Curriculum for Catholic Schools and Parish Faith Formation Programs for children.
- Parish Faith Formation Curriculum, Grades K-5
- Catholic School Religion Curriculum, Grades K-8
- The approved textbook series, Family Life (RCL-Benziger, 2010 edition) fulfills the Archdiocesan expectations for teaching moral behavior and safety education.
- Parent Resource: Talking with Your Child about Abuse. (PDF Version)
Each family life catechesis textbook series includes implementation ideas for any parish or school program. Several models are possible, for example:
- Catholic Schools
- Three days a week for 7-8 Weeks
- Four to Five days a week for 2-4 weeks
- One day a week for 10-12 weeks
- Parish Religious Education Program
- One chapter per session incorporated into basic catechetical lessons
- Additional sessions added to regular religious education schedule
- Monthly family life class; basic religion on other weeks
Correlations to Basic Religion Textbook Series, K-8; with RCL-Benziger, Family Life (2010 Edition)
- Finding God (RCL)
- Faith First (RCL)
- Jesus Christ, the Way (Benziger)
- We Believe (Sadlier)
- Christ Our Life (Loyola)
- Blest Are We (Silver)
- Come, Follow Me (Benziger)
- Be My Disciples (RCL Benziger)
Adolescent Catechesis for Family Life
Created to Love Program, Grades 6-12 Created to Love is designed to provide a foundational curriculum for adolescents regarding the dignity of human life, Catholic morality, healthy relationships, positive decision-making, and the sacramentality of marriage. Created to Love also incorporates elements of child protection in an age-appropriate way. Its purpose is to support, not to supplant, the efforts already being made to educate young people in understanding and appropriately expressing God’s gift of sexuality.
Resources For Parents and Catechetical Leaders
All of catechesis on chaste living takes place within the faith community that is the Church. - Catechetical Formation in Chaste Living