To develop a comprehensive strategic plan for Catholic schools, the Archbishop appointed the Blue Ribbon Committee on Catholic Schools, a group of esteemed leaders in our community representing the fields of education, philanthropy and business. The Committee includes school superintendents, philanthropists, community leaders, educational experts, and representatives from parishes and schools.
Frank Bramble, an executive with many years of local and national experience with financial institutions and a deep commitment to Catholic schools, was selected to Chair the Committee. The Committee has been working diligently for the past year and is on target to deliver its report to the Archbishop in June of this year.
This plan will include detailed recommendations addressing the fundamental areas of school mission, performance operation and administration. Specifically, the Committee is examining the areas of Catholic identity, Academic Excellence, Governance, and Stewardship. Key findings from their work is chronicled here.
As part of this effort, the committee and its staff held listening sessions at 10 locations throughout the Archdiocese. Catholic school parents, teachers, and others were strongly encouraged to participate. View the summary of the listening sessions.
Archbishop's Consultations with Priests, Pastoral Life Directors, School Presidents & Principals
As part of the ongoing strategic planning process, Archbishop O’Brien has held four days of consultations with Priests, Pastoral Life Directors, School Presidents and Principals, two in February, 2009 and two in October, 2009. Below are summaries of those sessions, as well as Archbishop O’Brien’s remarks.
Summary of Priests, Pastoral Life Directors, School Presidents and Principals Consultation – October, 2009
Priests / Pastoral Life Directors Consultation - February 2009
Principals / Presidents Consultatio - February 2009
Leadership Consultation - State of Catholic Schools - February 2009
Remarks of Archbishop Edwin F. O'Brien
Pastoral Consultation on Catholic Schools
February 10, 2009
Presentations to the Blue Ribbon Committee on Catholic Schools
Presentation to the Blue Ribbon Committee by Karen Murphy on behalf of the Elementary School Principals Association
May 29, 2009
Presentation to the Blue Ribbon Committee by Fran Critzman on behalf of the Archdiocesan Board of Advisors to the Superintendent
July 10, 2009
The Blue Ribbon Committee on Catholic Schools invited the public to submit comments about the future of Catholic schools in the Archdiocese. The comment period was open from May 15, 2009 until November 15, 2009. A summary of the public comments will be posted here in early 2010.
Mar 13, 2009
Catholic Schools Blue Ribbon Committee Holds First Meeting on Wednesday, March 18
Feb 10, 2009
Archbishop Consults With Priests, Introduces Blue Ribbon Committee to Address Challenges Facing Catholic Schools
Blue Ribbon Committee on Catholic Schools
- Mr. Frank Bramble (Chair), Board of Directors, Bank of America Corp.
- Rev. Msgr. Robert Hartnett, D. Min., (Executive Director), Pastor, Our Lady of Mount Carmel
- Dr. Andres Alonso, CEO, Baltimore City Public Schools
- Ms. Maureen Creel, Teacher, St. John the Evangelist Catholic School
- Mr. James Davis, Co-Chairman, Director, Allegis Group
- Dr. Nancy Grasmick, Superintendent, Maryland State Department of Education
- Dr. Joe Hairston, Superintendent, Baltimore County Public Schools
- Mr. Owen M. Knott, Vice President, The Marion I. and Henry J. Knott Foundation
- Rev. Michael Martin, OFM conv., President, Archbishop Curley High School
- Rev. Joseph Muth, Jr., Pastor, St. Matthew Catholic Church
- Mrs. Pamela Sanders, Principal, St. Ambrose Catholic School
- Dr. Mary Pat Seurkamp, President, College of Notre Dame of Maryland
- Mr. James Stojak, Retired Director, Citicorp Credit Service, Inc., Hagerstown
- Mr. Casper Taylor, Former Speaker, Maryland House of Delegates
- Sr. Helen Wiegmann, S.S.J., Teacher and Health Care Minister at Sacred Heart Catholic School
- Mr. Thomas Wilcox, President and CEO, Baltimore Community Foundation
- Rabbi Lawrence Ziffer, Director, Center for Jewish Education of Baltimore
Staff to the Blue Ribbon Committee on Catholic Schools
Msgr. Robert Hartnett, Executive Director
Mark Pacione, Associate Director
Mary Ellen Fise, Program Director